21 October 2003

Geek Woes

Warning: Extremely boring geek bitching ahead.

So sometime later this week our new office should be done. Which is good news for the pigeon allergy, but really annoying news for the webgeek in me.



We're getting all new totally bitchin' computers with flatscreen monitors (good for my eyestrain). The down side is that I'm going to have to reconfigure said brand new computer to match what I'm already working on and transfer two years worth of email backups, all the data and other assorted crap.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal except I have my box set up as a test webserver. And remembering what a huge pain in the ass it was groping around in semi-darkness to compile Apache/mod_ssl/mod_php/perl/MySQL for WinXP, I'm not looking forward to doing it all over again.

I could in theory just transfer all that stuff to the new box, but as that whole set up is a few versions old and I need mcrypt and cURL to fully emulate our webspace (as I am getting really tired of coding, uploading, testing, recoding, uploading, retesting ad naseum), I need to recompile. Gah. Grasping in the dark with the limited Windows documentation (for those of us who need more than the binaries provide but are capital C Clueless at compiling) is not going to be fun. It was a week of trial by error the last time 'round; can't imagine how much fun it's going to be adding in other modules.

I'll probably partition off a section and install Red Hat to eventually play around with, but learning a new operating system is low priority to tinkering with the work sites. And I need my graphics programs for print stuff; GIMP just ain't going to cut it. And it's not like I have time for 300 new learning curves.

Not to mention I get to transfer the data for my two colleagues to their new computers also.

Bugger bugger bugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment