17 July 2004

What I've Tasted of Desire

While searching for the exact wording of my favorite quote from Neil Gaiman's graphic story What I've Tasted of Desire (from Sandman Endless Nights, illustrated by the fabu perv Milo Manara; I double dog dare you not to become aroused by his work), I ran across the Robert Frost poem Fire & Ice, which seems to have inspired Gaiman's title and of which I had completely forgotten about.

Sometimes I wonder what other knowledge has petulantly skulked out from between the grey cells as the years pass...

Anywho, I give you Mr. Frost and then Mr. Gaiman as food for thought.



Fire and Ice
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favour fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

- Robert Frost





Most people want things like a candle-flame, flickering, shifting. You, on the other hand, want like a forest fire.

I should warn you, getting what you want and being happy are two quite different things.

- Desire, What I've Tasted of Desire, Endless Nights by Neil Gaiman

No comments:

Post a Comment